Thursday 1 February 2007

james snyder server project two

James Snyder server project log 2

log 2

the router that was doing the dhcp.
i configured the network manually
ip - 192.168.2.2
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1

The I looked at all of my Internet Protocol (IP) settings.

IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ibm6790-43g
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intelr PRO/100 VE Desktop Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-09-6B-D4-45-C6
Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 54g Wireless USB Network Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-BD-18-19
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 4.2.2.24.2.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 29, 2007 7:58:26 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 19, 2038 3:14:07 AM

the 3 bits i needed at this stage was an IP address, a subnet mask and a gateway address

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
hostname: ubuntu

For the HTTP proxy my windows box had the IP address ending with .5

IDE1 master (hda) - 20.5 GB, number1 primary 106.9MB K ext3 /media/hda1, number 2 20.4GB

I configured logical volume manager

I had got one 20 Gig disk
IDE1 master (hda) - 20.5 GB

I knew how much ram
256

Later I bought more RAM to double the processing power of the machine.

Then I set the partitions of the hard disk of the new Linux server as follows:
/ 10
/swap 1 gig
/home 5 gigs
/var 4 gigs
the /var partion is where the www folder is held and so I wanted to be able to reinstall without wiping that folder
The new partition size was then 10GB
i created a new partion, set the size to 10 Gig, set the type to ext2, set the mount point as '/'
10 = primary
I only needed logical when I had more than 4 partions - swap didn't count

the partition settings were:
ex2 file system; / mount point;
defaults mount options, label none;
5% reserveved blocks;
standard typical usage;
off bootable flag,
partition size 10GB.
pri/log 10.5GB FREE SPACE
number 1 primary 10.0 GB f ext2 /
swap was the next partition i did.
instead of finishing partitioning i selected pri/log 10.5GB FREE SPACE
pri/log 10.5GB FREE SPACE = swap
i selected the free space and created a new partition in it
the new partition size was 10.5 1 Gig for the swap partition
ideally swap should have been twice as big as my RAM
primary type of partition
seeing as I had got a reasonable sized disk I thought I may as well round it up to a one Gig
primary again
location at the beginning
if I put it at the end then my / would no longer be at the end
though they make no real difference, these partition settings.
I was not sure whether to specify to use the partition as a journaling system & Mount point
Anyway I edited the partition number 2 of IDE1 master hda.
I used a file system in this swap partition.
I set set it to be swap so I didn't need to set a mount point
swap has it's own special file system type
at that moment it was set to use as Ext3 journaling file system; the mount point was /home
i went up to the ext3 bit, hit return and chose swap from the list
I then saw that most of the other options had disappeared
now i had

number 2 primary 1GB f swap
pri/log 9.5GB FREE SPACE
number 1 primary 10GB f ext2 /

so next was /var
i went down to the free space, and hit enter
I reckoned a 5 gig partition would do which left 4 Gigs for my home
This new partition size was 5GB. It was a primary type again.

primary, ext 2
beginning location for the new partition
mount point: /var variable data
home 4GB. primary & NOT ext2

now I had:

IDE1 master hda 20.5GB
number 2 primary 1GB f swap
number 3 5GB f ext2 /var
number 4 primary 4GB f ext3 /home
unusable 485.3MB
number 1 primary 10GB f ext2

The login prompt looked like this :~$

Now that I was at the login prompt ready to type in commands, I did a quick ping to check that I had a network

ping www.bbc.co.uk
ping the router ping 192.168.2.1

No comments: