Thursday 1 February 2007

james snyder server project three

james snyder server project three

This computer has been built by me to accept HTTP requests from client Web browsers, and to serve them HTTP responses along with optional data content like Web pages.
The computer program that I have installed and configured to provide this functionality is called Debian Ubuntu 6.06 Linux LAMP server.

I only needed three file partitions: /, swap and home
to ensure back up of files. /var was not required on a laptop.
to use ssh i used name.homelinux.com
I could use that only if I had set up an address with dyndns.
otherwise I just used the local or wan IP address
i have not yet installed webmin & 'open DNS' already or opendns
I need to change the dns servers on my router and they will need to point to
208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220
http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/23/1712221
preferred DNS server was : 4.2.2.1
I make a note of the dns servers I already have set up in case I need to change them
for webmin i went here http://www.webmin.com/
i downloaded and installed the webmin-1.320.tar.gz
i ignored the webmin in synaptic or the deb file, they were both dodgy
I'll be wanting a wiki for a more detailed log
now there is a purpose for my new web server, to learn more about HTTP, HTTPS, how a real web server works, CGI, PHP, hosting, and LAMP - to learn all these things without reading books, so learning on a real live system.
maybe it could also be used to test Web browsers, Web log analysis software and set up a non profit Web hosting service.....

No comments: